In our increasingly social minds, we’re starting to put more and more focus on the fact that our audience is not just consumers. They are people and real human beings!
Therefore, this means that being a brand or company, it is crucial that you get to know who these people or individuals actually are. Who have an interest in you, and what defines these people’s identities? What do they think of you?
However, as a marketer, it can first of all be very effective to think about some specific and important changes in the marketplace with these being:
– From person-as-viewer to person-as-participant, to person-as-creator-of-content.
– From brand-to-person communication to person-to-person conversation.
– From information gathering to experience gathering.
– From company brands to the individual as a brand.
– From social networks to social tribes.
Definition of social tribes
Marketers who have a good idea of the formation of tribes are likely to gain a larger return on investment. It’s about following the current mindset and gaining an understanding of the people that have an interest in you. And building a relationship is on top of the list. Though, Allfacebook has defined some elements that characterize a social tribe, and these are the following:
– Possession of a unique revelation: An ideology that in some way rejects the mainstream and is symbolic of an uncompromising idealism and certainty that is expressed with romantic passion and cold logic.
– A belief system: A mythology about how the world works and how tribe members, and the tribe, can maximize “self” in relation to that world.
– Ritual: The creation of recurrent, exaggerated or stylized behavioral routines that represent the tribe’s belief system; this helps establish institutional memory.
– Distinctive lexicon: A characteristic lingo and a set of emblems to display membership.
– Boundaries: A pseudo-speciation that defines where the tribe begins and ends — i.e., the “other” is not like me.
Have a mission
Thus, the present mindset challenges the longing for tribal connections that engage people with passion and purpose. People would like to be a part of a tribe, as it makes them feel more safe and empowered. Marketers should therefore pay attention to the fact that brands need to have a mission that engages people in tribal connections. And that is what can make them gain greater loyalty from the world around it. So start planning!