You may have noticed the buzz around Old Spice these days. This is due to a very successful social media campaign driven by the “Old Spice Guy” aka “the man your man could smell like” performed by Isaiah Mustafah
First back in February, Old Spice launched a video running both on television and web, which quickly quickly went viral. Two days ago, Old Spice started a new phase of the campaign with the shirtless Old Spice guy in a bathroom giving responses to tweets, blog posts and comments – each response with a video put on Youtube.
Simple but effective use of social media
The first Old Spice videos provoked a lot of comments on various social sites like Facebook, Twitter, Reddit and so on. So what Old Spice is doing is to simply make short video answers in reply to all the comments on their Youtube channel. Of course the Old Spice guy also has a Twitter profile and Facebook Page. It’s a simple idea, but is creating a lot of buzz and PR.
3 things the campaign is doing right:
• Giving something back to the community – the videos encourage people to engage with the Old Spice guy and manages to give something back you can look at, thus giving the user a sense of ownership and seeing concrete results.
• Witty, cheeky and shirtless guy in front – the character of the Old Spice guy is well played out by Isaiah Mustafa
• Creating a buzz – Old Spice knows how to create a buzz by choosing wisely what people to respond. By connecting with celebrities who reply and retweet, they quickly reach a wide audience by word-of-mouth.
• Top of Digg and Reddit
• Trending topic on Twitter
• Twitter followers multiplied by 10
• Coverage in large mainstream news, tech news and industry news
The campaign has been carried out by PR company Wieden+Kennedy
Reply to Guy Kawasaki:
Reply to Alyssa Milano:
The old spice commercial:
I’m on a horse…