More and more people are using Foursquare to check in and share their location. Whether checking out a new restaurant, meeting up with friends, or visiting a favourite boutique, they love to share their adventures. This of course also means that the potential for brands are growing. If you wish to use foursquare as a marketing channel for your brand, here is a list of things you can do when starting on Foursquare:
1. Claim you place on foursquare. If you are a business, you should claim your places, which means that you are now a manager of your places on foursquare. You log on to foursquare.com and go the page of your listed venue. You then push the ‘claim venue’ link and you are provided with different options of how to verify your ownership.
2. Personalize your foursquare page: Once, you have claimed your place, brands can customize the way their information appears on foursquare. It is possible to edit the phone number, address, twitter name and website, or even add a description that includes details of your offerings or anything you might want to highlight. Just head over to your business’ listings on foursquare.com, and click the ‘edit’ button.
3. Grow your business with foursquare “Specials!” There is one feature that contributes to the success of every foursquare business success story: foursquare Specials. A Special is a kind of foursquare offer, which could be a discount or a give ways to encourage customers to engage with the brand through foursquare. Here are a few of the most successful types of offers:
- A discount with purchase (something like, ‘get 20% any orders over $10’). It’s a great way to increase sales.
- Something for free (for example, ‘enjoy a free dessert if you buy an appetizer and main course’). These are often low cost and high impact.
- Special treatment: (one of our favorites is at a zoo: ‘check in on foursquare for private access to the penguin feeding’). These have no cost and create a great connection.
- Reward your best customers (the classic Special is, ‘free coffee on your fifth visit’). It’s like a digital punchcard.
4. Identify your best customers by diving into your data: Brands also get full access to Merchant Dashboard, which tells you interesting information about your customers, like the time they check in, their demographic information (like age and gender), what are your most popular hours, and who are the customers that visit most often.
5. Educate your staff : If you are a retail chain running a foursquare special, it is best to let your staff know about it, because all the hard work goes in vain if your staff turns away a special winner!
Read more about Foursquare for business