The report aims at understanding the challenges of Facebook advertising and how marketers are using the platform. According to Social Fresh, research on the topic is lacking and the goal with the report is thus to start creating better Facebook advertising, educational content and best practices.
Here is an overview of the key survey findings:
- 70% of respondents are more likely to point ad traffic to a Facebook app rather than sending users off Facebook. The 30% of the respondents that point their ads off of Facebook reported a 50% higher cost per click.
- The most successful ad types on Facebook are sponsored stories, as they are content focused and do not look and feel like traditional ads, and they are also easier to build. Nevertheless, 55% of respondents are not using sponsored stories.
- The most popular ad criteria are age (55%) and country (53%). Interestingly, only 34% of advertises are putting high importance on gender as a targeting option.
- The most popular ad goals for running Facebook ads are awareness (61%) and fan growth (53%). However, advertisers spend most money on audience growth.
- Facebook recommends all advertisers to update ads regularly with new images and body copy in order to make them work optimally. Also, the average Facebook ad has a peak click-through rate during the first 72 hours, according to data from Webtrends. Yet, 37% of advertisers run their ads for longer than 3 days.