Did You Know:
- 4.6 billion pieces of content are produced daily.
- Content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing and generates about three times as many leads.
- 72% of marketers think that branded content is more effective than magazine advertisements.
- A customer will visit at least 10 digital places to learn about a product or a service.
- In two years, online video will make up 69% of consumer Internet traffic.
Social media is the number 1 activity on the web. We check our phones 110 times a day but our attention spans are only eight seconds long. This calls for every single piece of content to be great. Meaning that it needs to be relevant and valuable to the consumer.
The Secret to Success
No one has the secret recipe for creating really great content that goes viral. What we do know is that we need to start off with empathy. Of course every message has to be clear and concise. Saying only what’s important. But the real secret to success lies in understanding the consumer. What’s the context? What state of mind are they in when engaging with our content? What are their aspirations and goals in life?
63% of consumers are reported to defect from brands due to irrelevant content. Of those, 41% would actually consider ending a brand relationship due to irrelevance and 22% already have. So being relevant and engaging really matters. We need to let the consumers walk away with a feeling of satisfaction and value.
It’s All About the People
So make sure your content strategy is not based on vanity and ego. It has to be about the people sharing, commenting and caring. It’s about what matters to them. We need to make relevant content that’s useful and helpful to them. Preferably in an entertaining and engaging manner.
So remember to question everything. Ask yourself this:
- Why would someone share this?
- What could engagement look like?
- How can we become more relevant, useful, helpful, entertaining and engaging?
…and also make sure to:
- Challenge assumptions: listen, observe and understand your customers.
- Realize that you’re competing against everything in the stream including pictures of food and cats.
- Be impartial.
- Respond and be helpful to your customers.
- Create experiences that are delightful, memorable and shareable.
- Make people smile, laugh and sometimes give them pause.
- Design engagement and customer journeys across platforms in a seamless way.
It’s not just about content marketing; it’s about meaningful engagement and relevant experiences throughout the customer journey. It’s about creating value.
If you want to delve deeper into the topics raised here we highly recommend you to read Attention is a Currency. Also we’ve previously made this little checklist for content marketeers entitled Branded Content: 6 Things To Remember before Publishing which might come in handy.